Number of Positions: 1
Application Deadline: September 24, 2020
Job Location: Hay River
Job Term: Permanent Full Time
NORTHWEST TERRITORIES POWER CORPORATION
HAY RIVER, NT
Under the direction of the Senior Program Manager, the Civil Engineer-in-training will provide Civil design, inspection and project management services, from the conceptual stage through to commissioning, for capital projects and maintenance support activities involving the Corporation’s generating stations and transmission and distribution systems.
- In collaboration with Dam Safety Engineer, Operations staff and using the Dam Safety Guidelines issued by the Canadian Dam Association, coordinates and subsequently manages the mandatory Dam Safety Review of NTPC’s hydroelectric facilities.
- Assists the Dam Safety Engineer and Hydro Operations Staff with the routine inspection of hydroelectric facilities such as dams, spillways, penstock, culverts, stop log and gate structures, etc.
- In collaboration with other engineering staff, recommends the hydroelectric engineering design work that needs to be contracted out to appropriate specialists or engineering consultants due to staff shortage or lack of in-house expertise
- Prepares technical specifications, tender documents, drawings and cost estimates for projects that are designed “in-house”. Carries out design checks and reviews the work done by engineering consultants, specialists and “in-house” design staff.
- Assists in tender evaluations and provides recommendations for contract award. Carries out contract administration on construction contracts and equipment purchases and processes progress and final payment claims for review and approval.
- Prepares Requests-For-Proposals (RFPs), including the detailed scope of work, for services that are to be provided by engineering consultants and specialists.
- Performs on-site construction supervision, prepares detailed, project-specific Civil commissioning procedures and carries out or witnesses, as appropriate, the commissioning of Civil works.
- Assists in executing capital projects to the maximum satisfaction of the end-user (generally the Regions), allowing for constraints established by Corporate objectives, sound engineering practice and safety.
- Prepares regular technical and budgetary progress reports on ongoing projects and, upon project completion, prepares technical reviews and budget variance reports.
- Provides training to and receives training from co-workers and performs administrative duties in support of the Engineering Department as determined by the work group in consultation with the Director Engineering.
- Provides, on a regular basis to the Manager, written and verbal progress reports on Design Section issues as they relate to hydro. Prepares, submits and/or presents to Senior Management, written technical reports, project briefs, and other technical and Design Hydro Section related documentation.
- All other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering required
- Eligible for registration with NAPEG as an Engineer in Training
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Above average interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment
Salary for this position ranges from $47.35/hr-$57.54/hr. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes health and dental benefits, long-term disability, life insurance, paid sick days and a defined benefits pension plan.
Affirmative Action Employer – Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.