Position: Electrical Engineer
Number of Positions: 1
Application Deadline: November 30, 2021
Job Location: Yellowknife
Job Term: Permanent Full Time
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
The Stantec Yellowknife office has a vibrant and dynamic environment with unparalleled opportunities for professional growth. Our multidisciplinary northern office is looking for an energetic Electrical Engineer to round out our growing practice in Northern Canada.
Your role as a contributor on our professional consulting services team is to work independently on projects of varying size and complexity, and as a member of a team or project through all phases of a project lifecycle including many exciting (commercial, institutional, recreational, industrial, and health care) projects. You may lead or contribute to the development of integrated proposals using your knowledge of electrical systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards while collaborating with team members to contribute to the final deliverables.
Yellowknife is the capital of the Northwest Territories and is a remarkably cosmopolitan city of roughly 20,000. It is the commercial hub for projects and communities across the NWT and the wilderness is just steps from our downtown office. In Yellowknife, northern traditions mix with the everyday lifestyles of modern Canadians from all cultures and backgrounds. The result is a unique sense of place that both welcomes newcomers and embraces new ideas.
Up here work-life balance truly exists. Whether you’re interested in outdoor pursuits, arts or history, or just looking to live in a beautiful, small urban center, Yellowknife could be the place for you. Build your career AND enjoy your life!
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for small to large projects of various complexity in remote communities across the North
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and engineers all electrical engineered systems or products for a project
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats
- Utilizes BIM technologies in the development of three-dimensional models of building’s electrical systems and provides markups for junior engineers
- Prepares and revises documentation in various electrical phases including site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors
- Participates in client project requirement meetings, value analysis, and basic cost estimating
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents
- Conducts field reviews of projects during construction to verify conformance with construction documents and provide letters of professional assurance to the applicable authorities having jurisdiction
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the electrical group
- Develops project scope, budgets, and design approach for all sizes of projects
- Assists with the development of proposals for smaller, less complex projects
- Oversees and manages multiple projects
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge and application of Canadian Electrical Code, National Building Code and other applicable building and energy codes
- General understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications
- Strong knowledge of electrical systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought
- Thorough understanding of electrical engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others
- Experience in construction administration – conducting site field reviews; responding to contractor’s queries; reviewing shop drawings; preparing site instructions and contemplated change notices
- Willingness to travel
- Valid driver’s license
- Advanced oral and written communication skills
- Presentation and interview skills are preferred
- Project management experience is a definite asset
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD; Prefer experience with AGI 32, Visual Lighting Software
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Engineering & Licensed Professional Engineer eligible for registration with the Engineers Yukon and Northwest Territories and Nunavut Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists (NAPEG). Minimum of 8 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and sitting at a desk. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.