Electrical Engineer, Level 3 or 4
Position: Electrical Engineer, Level 3 or 4
Number of Positions: 1
Application Deadline: September 03, 2021
Job Location: Whitehorse, YT
Start_Date: September 20, 2021
Job Term: Permanent Full Time
About the company:
At Williams Engineering Canada, we brighten the lives of people in our community.
We believe in the value of shared knowledge to better consult, create, and encourage diverse perspectives, to provide innovative solutions across the busiest cities and the most remote regions of Western and Northern Canada. We recognize that our people do much more than engineer solutions and solve our clients’ greatest challenges; they have the opportunity to impact the communities in which they live, work, and build relationships in. In order to make a positive impact on our communities, we must start by positively impacting our own people. To us, this means providing fair compensation, training, advancement opportunities, and an open-door team environment. This also means maintaining a healthy work-life balance, which is why we offer a flexible work environment to support the unique and busy lives that our people lead.
Reports to: Team Lead, Electrical
Based at: Whitehorse, YT
Position Purpose: Working closely with the Project Manager, acting as PM or Technical Lead on various projects, and maintaining the technical capability and production requirements of the projects. Provides exceptional customer service and coordination assistance with internal and external project partners (consultants, contractors, etc.).
Specific Responsibilities Include:
· Collaborate with the Team lead/ Project Manager/ Branch Manager/ Engineering Manager in providing our clients with finished projects in a timely manner.
· Communicate effectively with the Project Manager; this includes collecting and coordinating useful information.
· Provide guidance and mentorship to junior teammates, this includes reviewing reports and ensuring technical standards are met.
· Share expertise with other offices.
· May act as client contact.
· Support, maintain and improve quality control.
· Calculate cost opinions, change orders and earned value.
· Develop engineering cost proposals.
· Identify risks associated with a project at the proposal stage; satisfy client and our requirements with regard to risk management.
· Accurately apply codes and regulations.
· Write reports not requiring significant editing.
· Share expertise with other offices.
· Respond to and resolve interdisciplinary design conflicts.
· Manage, review and/or provide input for proposals.
· Review and mark up complex drawings.
· Write and present technical papers.
· Operate as a specialist consultant by creating unique designs and concepts, by developing an in-depth understanding of other on-site disciplines and by ensuring WEC’s technical capability is moved throughout WEC.
· Operate independently on routine projects and oversee work plans and procedures on routine projects.
· Coordinate with all service lines, extract and relay relevant information for complex projects.
· With proven capability, prepare engineering design, specification and/or recommendations for a variety of the following:
o Control systems
o Hazardous area classification
o Heat tracing systems
o High and medium low voltage power systems
o Lighting systems
o Low tension building systems engineering
o Low voltage power
o Life safety systems
o Power systems analysis
o Commissioning of electrical systems
o Energy analysis and management
· Modify established standards, devise new approaches, apply existing criteria in new manners, and draw conclusions for comparative situations.
· Stamp own project design and reports and that of engineers in training for whom you are providing peer review as appropriate.
· Perpetuate, clarify, and embody WEC Purpose and Core Values.
· Teammates are required to adhere to the company policies and guidelines as well as the company and client safety policies and practices in effect at any given time.
· Have the ability to apply for a Federal security clearance in order to work on institutional projects as required.
· Teammates in a leadership position are expected to obtain their Leadership in Safety Excellence certificate as part of their role with WEC
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering
- P.Eng. Status with appropriate provincial association
- 4 – 6 years of experience minimum
Skills and Capabilities:
· Excellent interpersonal skills; a person who listens well, respects diversity of opinions and has an open, clear and succinct communication style.
· Effective organizational and time management skills in handling multiple projects, performing a variety of tasks, and meeting required deadlines.
· Ability to represent the company to WEC teammates, clients and community by ensuring the best image is presented.
· Application knowledge of WEC systems and programs (including MS Office 365, SharePoint, Deltek Vision, AutoCAD, Revit MEP, AGI 32 Software)
· Ability to accurately apply codes and regulations.
· Ability to write reports not requiring significant editing.
· Ability to identify risks – to satisfy client and WEC requirements