Electrical Technologist, Level 3 or 4
Position: Electrical Technologist, Level 3 or 4
Number of Positions: 1
Application Deadline: September 03, 2021
Job Location: Whitehorse, YT
Start_Date: September 20, 2021
Job Term: Permanent Full Time
About the company:
At Williams Engineering Canada, we brighten the lives of people in our community.
We believe in the value of shared knowledge to better consult, create, and encourage diverse perspectives, to provide innovative solutions across the busiest cities and the most remote regions of Western and Northern Canada. We recognize that our people do much more than engineer solutions and solve our clients’ greatest challenges; they have the opportunity to impact the communities in which they live, work, and build relationships in. In order to make a positive impact on our communities, we must start by positively impacting our own people. To us, this means providing fair compensation, training, advancement opportunities, and an open-door team environment. This also means maintaining a healthy work-life balance, which is why we offer a flexible work environment to support the unique and busy lives that our people lead.
Reports to: Team Lead, Electrical
Based at: Whitehorse, NT
Position Purpose: Working closely with the Project Manager, assisting on various projects, and contributing to the technical capability and production requirements of the Service Line. Provides exceptional customer service and coordination assistance with internal and external project partners (consultants, contractors, etc.).
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Write reports that do not require significant editing
- Working knowledge of building codes.
- Prepare fee letters.
- Operate independently on routine projects
- Coordinate with all Service Lines, extract and relay relevant information for complex projects
- Review and mark-up complex drawings
- Provide guidance and leadership to junior teammates, this includes reviewing reports and ensuring technical standards are met.
- Contribute to maintaining and improving quality control.
- Share expertise with other offices.
- Prepare technical design, specification and/or recommendations for a variety of the following:
o Basic electricity
o Lighting systems
o Low voltage power systems
o Heat tracing systems
- Review and mark up drafting iterations
- Conduct site inspections and write reports
· Perpetuate, clarify, and embody WEC Purpose and Core Values.
· Teammates are required to adhere to the company policies and guidelines as well as the company and client safety policies and practices in effect at any given time.
- Have the ability to apply for a Federal security clearance in order to work on institutional projects as required.
- Teammates in a leadership position are expected to obtain their Leadership in Safety Excellence certificate as part of their role with WEC
Qualifications and Experience:
- Typically a graduate of a 1-2 year technical certificate or diploma program in Electrical Technology
- 4 – 6 years of experience
- May hold or be working towards a C.E.T. designation
Skills and Capabilities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills; a person who listens well, respects diversity of opinions and has an open, clear and succinct communication style.
- Application knowledge of WEC systems and programs (including MS Office 365, SharePoint, Deltek Vision, AutoCAD, Revit MEP, AGI 32 Software)
- Understanding of the following:
- Have a working knowledge of budgets.
- Able to identify innovative technical approaches to electrical engineering.
- Ability to identify risks – satisfy client needs/ our needs.
- Ability to accurately apply codes and regulations.
- Ability to coordinate with all Service Lines, extract and relay relevant information for complex projects.
- Proven competency in specification preparation
o Div 1 general
o Div. 15 Mechanical specifications
o Div. 16 Electrical specification
- Basic understanding of:
o Security Systems
o Emergency Power Systems
o Communication Systems
o Hazardous area classification