Hydro Electrical Field Engineer
Position: Hydro Electrical Field Engineer
Number of Positions: 1
Application Deadline: July 31, 2019
Job Location: Yellowknife
Job Term: Permanent Full Time
Under the direction of the Director of the Hydro Division, is responsible for providing electrical technical expertise and field engineering support services for the operations and maintenance of power systems and all electrical assets for NTPC’s Hydro Zone power generation, substations, system operations (Jackfish Control Centre), and other systems. Scope includes all communities, building, plants and facilities in NTPC’s Hydro Zone including the North and South Slave and both hydro and thermal technologies. Also supports solar, wind and other renewable generation technologies as required. Acts as Hydro Operations’ conduit to facilitate best business practices in coordination and cooperation with Asset Management, Project Management, Engineering, T&D and IT (SCADA & Automation Operations).
- Participates in team meetings as required, and in accordance with the principles of team management, to determine program objectives, provide input to group financial planning, and to assess and coordinate unit workload and priorities.
- Provides technical expertise and electrical field engineering support services for hydro and thermal assets including rotating equipment used for power generation including hydroelectric units and diesel and fuelled engine-generator sets (gensets), related electrical equipment (digital governors, digital exciters, unit & genset protection and controls) and all other electrical equipment.
- In consultation and coordination with SCADA and Automation Operations group, maintains, and troubleshoots SCADA plant level equipment including Remote Terminal Units (RTUs), Human-Machine Interfaces (HMIs), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) and Intelligent Electronic Devices (IEDs).
- Experience with relay protection and controls including commissioning of new equipment and trouble shooting protection problems.
- Supports Asset Management, Engineering and Project Management with identification, definition, design and implementation of capital projects. Occasionally prepares project briefs. Performs or supports asset condition and risk assessments and inspections and produces reports. Supports capital projects by providing electrical field engineering support services and technical expertise or performing commissioning or other duties during capital project implementation. May be assigned as project monitor for capital projects up to $500,000 in value.
- Updates CMMS asset data, marks up or red-lines prints of technical drawings to produce “as-built drawings”, and sends them to Engineering to update CAD drawings managed on central drawing management system to reflect changes resulting from maintenance work.
- Acts in a pro-active manner and makes timely recommendations on continuous improvements of NTPC operations and equipment.
- Provides assistance to other trades and contractors, and provides guidance
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment in the plant and surrounding area, maintains equipment and vehicles in good working condition, and ensures compliance to all safety programs, health and safety legislation, and Corporation Safety Rules in the completion of work activities.
- In consultation and coordination with Engineering and CAD team, may design and take professional responsibility, by signing and sealing drawings, for making alterations to existing plant that are not parts of a capital project.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized university. Bachelor of Science degree in another engineering discipline with experience and substation and distribution facilities design, operation, and maintenance would also be considered.
- Must have a minimum of (2) years of related engineering experience, including a minimum of one year providing engineering support for operational work.
- Eligible for membership with NAPEG as a P.Eng.
- Must have technical knowledge pertaining to the design, operation, and maintenance of electrical apparatus.
- Must have working knowledge of AutoCAD, Microsoft Office products.
- Must have good knowledge of Corporation policies and procedures, and regulations pertaining to natural gas distribution systems, including CSA Z662.
- Thorough knowledge of reliability theory and practice.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare technical reports, including business case analyses.
- Must have demonstrated analytical skills
- Ability to work in a team environment with minimum direct supervision
- Ability to interpret and utilize manufactures Manuals and Parts Books.
- Good oral and written communication skills to maintain effective communications with team members, and to prepare documentation and reports.
- Good analytical skills and the ability to diagnose electrical problems and propose solutions.
- Good working knowledge of safety regulations and procedures.
- Computer skills to operate a variety of software related to financial, administrative and reporting systems, electronic mail, internet, etc.
- Must have a valid Class 5 NWT driver’s license.
The salary range for this position is $56.56 to $68.74 per hour, plus location, and accommodation allowances of approximately $8,842 per annum. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, which includes Health and Dental Benefits, Long-term Disability, Life Insurance, paid Sick Days and a Defined Pension Plan.
Apply Online: https://careers-ntpc.icims.com
Affirmative Action Employer – Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.