Position: Intermediate/Senior Engineer
Number of Positions: 1
Application Deadline: November 21, 2022
Job Location: Yellowknife
Job Term: Permanent Full Time
We are an employee-owned, Canadian company that is passionate about building communities that are vibrant, healthy, and resilient and support economic growth. Sustainability is part of every project we undertake, and how we operate our business. Focused locally, we offer uncompromising service to public and private sector clients across Canada and abroad.
We proudly have been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for 13 consecutive years and a Platinum Club member. This award recognizes our technical excellence, business performance, innovation, dedication to our staff, and involvement in the community. We have also been a Carbon Neutral Company since 2009 and have EcoAction initiatives across the company.
We know it takes dedicated, talented individuals working together to consistently deliver high-quality work and service to our clients. We achieve this by promoting collaboration, investing in our people, and fostering a culture that engages and inspires our people to be their best, maximize their potential, and think creatively while applying best practices. If you have what it takes, we want you to join us!
Our commitment to you:
At Associated Engineering, we have a diverse workforce and teamwork philosophy. We are committed to the growth and careers of our people, and we take great care in hiring the right people to join our team for the long term. Our unique workplace culture has been what setting us apart and we provide:
• A hybrid work environment that allows for a combination of working from home and in the office.
• Competitive salary and benefits, including a fitness allowance, and company-matching pension program.
• Ongoing support for your growth and development, including a formal professional development program, mentoring programs, training opportunities, and professional designation support.
We currently have an opening for an Intermediate/ Senior Civil or Structural Engineer in our Yellowknife office.
The successful candidate will provide direction and leadership to multidiscipline staff. The central focus of this position is to provide municipal engineering and advisory services throughout northwest territories. This office services a diverse client sector including the North West Territories Government, City of Yellowknife, land developers, First Nations, and numerous Towns and villages throughout the territory.
As an Intermediate/Senior Engineer, and a business sector leader in Yellowknife, the successful candidate must be able to: (1) clearly articulate the needs of infrastructure driven projects, (2) instill technical confidence in both clients, regulator stakeholder groups and staff; and (3) possess credible understanding of municipal planning, engineering, capital planning, design and construction.
Duties will include, but will not necessarily be limited to the following:
• Providing operational management encompassing all aspects of market development including identifying business opportunities, developing a marketing plan for the area of practice, organizing and executing business development initiatives.
• Taking on a lead role in client relationships, business and team development.
• Ensuring the offices’ financial objectives are achieved through developing a yearly business plan for the area of practice, including identifying and preparing a summary of priority prospects that best reflect revenue potential.
• Delivering outstanding service to our clients by ensuring the successful planning, designing, and managing of projects including municipal advisory, asset management, capital planning, master planning, land development, site servicing and design, infrastructure rehabilitation and growth, environmental engineering, water resource, landscape and urban design projects for public and private sector clients.
• Reviewing proposals prospects to ensure that the projects are within the Company’s capabilities and that risks are minimized in accordance with our Strategic Plan.
• Collaborating with other managers on multi-discipline projects.
• Keeping staff technically current through awareness of upcoming conferences and seminars, and by formulating recommendations for attendance and presentation of papers in consulting with Technical Vice Presidents, and with the approval of the General Manager.
• Ensuring that all engineering work is carried out in accordance with accepted industry standards, company procedures, and client expectations.
• Supporting Project Managers with project execution, resources allocation and risk management
• Monitor and optimize the use of staff across the office to ensure ongoing utilization targets are achieved.
• Selecting, hiring staff, and developing their career path focused on infrastructure technical leadership, project management, client management, or a combination thereof based on their demonstrated capability and particular career interests
• Represent the Company in public and professional activities in an active manner which further enhances the reputation of the Company
What you bring to the table:
• Minimum 10 years of experience in design, engineering, construction and management of which a minimum of 5 years is in a consulting capacity
• Project management of municipal and multi-discipline projects
• Consulting and/or professional experience in B.C. is an asset
• Experience in business development in both private and public sectors.
• Experience in liaising with clients, contractors, and other consultants
• Experience in coaching and mentoring staff
• Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
• Committed team player and an independent worker
• Ability to travel across Canada
• Possesses a valid driver’s license