Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Position: Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Number of Positions: 1
Application Deadline: August 29, 2019
Job Location: Diavik ( Yellowknife, NT)
Start_Date: September 16, 2019
Job Term: Permanent Full Time
Geotechnical – Senior Engineer
· Unique opportunity to be involved in a world class diamond mining operation
· Excellent career development opportunities
· Work with an exceptional team of operations and technical people
· Opportunity to introduce and implement continuous improvement initiatives
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Geotechnical Engineer to be responsible for providing expertise, knowledge, and leadership relevant to the geotechnical aspects of pit slopes, earthworks, and structures to ensure they serve Diavik Diamond Mine Inc.’s (DDMI) purposes safely and efficiently. Reporting to the Superintendent of Geotechnical and Surface Engineering, this role will be required to support the Mine Technical Services team in monitoring performance of pit slopes, integrating performance data into design, interfacing with dike performance and design specialists, and leading junior staff and technicians. This is a challenging role that would suit a person who has a proven track record in rock mass characterization, monitoring performance, and slope stability assessment. The geotechnical team at Diavik receives strong support from management and are encouraged to explore innovative ways to meet the challenges that go with mining and monitoring pit slopes within one of the world’s most iconic diamond mines.
Located in Yellowknife, you will be working on a 4 days on / 3 days off roster.
The main responsibilities will be:
· Leading a team of engineers and technicians who inspect open pits, dikes, dams, waste rock dumps, and other critical infrastructure;
· Assist in identifying, defining and solving complex problems and risks that have the potential to impact the overall productivity, as part of a multi-disciplinary technical team;
· Processing, analyzing and modelling rock mass and monitoring data to understand the wall’s response to mining for purposes of excavation stability and mine design optimization;
· Managing a surface geotechnical and hydrogeological monitoring program to ensure instrumentation and systems are relevant, functional, and properly maintained;
· Developing scope for stability assessment projects and engage and manage consultants to deliver on time, on budget, and in full;
· Ensuring that surface geotechnical instrumentation, systems and geotechnical employees are utilized efficiently and effectively;
· Supporting DDMI compliance to all applicable corporate safety standards and government regulations relative to surface geotechnical aspects;
· Coordinating the design and planning of capital projects relevant to surface geotechnical work to enable DDMI’s construction activities to proceed as planned;
· Implementing and directing best practice in geotechnical engineering, mine design and mining operations to ensure safety and business objectives are achieved;
· Overseeing open pit and infield surface water management;
· Participating in the capital and operating budgeting processes;
· Developing and delivering surface geotechnical internal and external status reports, summaries, analyses, warnings/bulletins, and correspondence as required by technical or regulatory demands;
· Maintaining an inventory of surface geotechnical documents, reports, and drawings;
· Providing knowledge and service as required to resolve issues or address concerns related to surface geotechnical engineering;
· Effectively managing the surface geotechnical team, including day to day work requests and maintain responsibility for performance management;
· Collaborating with the underground geotechnical team when common issues arise;
· Expanding position-relevant knowledge and skills through continuing self-directed or employer-sponsored professional development.
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Geotechnical Engineering, Engineering Geology, or related field (Master’s preferred);
· 5 years’ experience with design, construction, and monitoring of rock excavations, dams, dikes, or other engineered works;
· Experience in slope stability monitoring, data analysis, and reporting;
· Demonstrated experience in 2D and 3D slope stability analysis;
· Demonstrated surface mining geotechnical design and rock characterization experience
· Valid Supervisor Level I Certification or ability to obtain;
· Knowledge of geotechnical and hydrogeological data logging and instrumentation;
· Knowledge of instrumentation installations and geotechnical data management systems;
· Knowledge of geotechnical research and analysis methods;
· Working knowledge of VULCAN, AutoCad and civil engineering design standards;
· Ability to adapt to changing business conditions and communicate effectively with stakeholders at all levels;
· A track record of delivering practical and innovative solutions to multi-faceted technical challenges;
· Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently in a results-oriented environment;
· Demonstrated technical writing and presentation skills for capturing and communicating technical information and results;
· Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Where you will be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminum and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
So if this sounds like you and the opportunity you are looking for, apply now.
If you are looking for change, a new career and would like to work for a successful global organization, join us today.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.