Sr. Electrical Field Maintenance Engineer – Mica
Position: Sr. Electrical Field Maintenance Engineer - Mica
Number of Positions: 1
Application Deadline: February 07, 2023
Job Location: Mica Creek, British Columbia, Canada
Job Term: Permanent Full Time
Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Sr. Electrical Field Maintenance Engineer – Mica
Job Number: BCH-R-7021-230116E1
Job Location: Mica Creek, British Columbia, Canada
Powered by water… and by people like you
Providing clean electricity to 4 million customers takes a diverse workforce and that’s where you come in. We need your talent to help us build major projects to meet growing demand. To help our customers find clean energy solutions for their homes and businesses and to be ready to respond during storms and outages to keep our system reliable.
Working for BC Hydro is meaningful. And now, the stakes have been raised as we work towards a solution to climate change while safely providing clean, affordable electricity to our customers.
We offer a healthy work life balance, training opportunities and career progression. We’re proud to be ranked as one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Join us as we build an even cleaner B.C.
* This is a Full-Time Regular role with the MCA Field Maintenance Engineering (FME) team. Because of the maintenance and capital workload at MCA, and additional FME is required. The role of the FME is quite broad and includes Preventative Maintenance (PM) program continuous improvement, maintenance results review and analysis, forced outage/equipment failure investigation and root cause analysis, technical field support, and support for work planning.
Key duties include:
* Provide engineering field support for MCA to SFO crews and managers for complex and high impact issues, arranging and managing support from the central maintenance engineering teams as necessary.
* Review completed maintenance instructions, identify and action outstanding corrective actions, recommend/review suggested PM program changes and submit updates.
*Assess and document the risk of maintenance deferrals.
* Lead root cause analysis, investigate, produce reports for forced outages recommend corrective actions for failed equipment and act as the POR.
* Perform or arrange for equipment inspection of assets. Scope and source central Engineering support for difficult technical issues, inspections, or commissioning as required.
* Interpret and respond to notifications from the Predictive Maintenance Team and create work orders as required to action.
* Provide technical guidance to Station Field Operations (SFO) as required to make maintenance and operational decisions.
* Attend site to witness the operating condition of spillway gates, ensure unusual conditions are identified and actioned, and provide monthly summary’s to Dam Safety.
* Provide input into complex projects and asset plans.
*Follow EGBC Quality Management Guidelines and take part in BCH Internal compliance Audits.
* A Degree in Electrical Engineering;
* P. Eng or eligible for registration as a professional engineer with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC.
* A minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in the relevant engineering field including considerable electric utility experience (may consider candidates with less experience at the appropriate pay grade and level).
* Demonstrated technical knowledge of hydro-electric generation – preferably in the field of maintenance and operations.
* Experience developing and sustaining preventative maintenance programs.
* Well developed analytical and both written/verbal communication skills.
* Ability to evaluate competing demands to determine the maintenance priorities for the facility.
* Ability to provide work leadership or technical direction to engineers and/or other technical support staff.
* Ability to develop innovative methods of analysis for complex electrical and mechanical issues.
* Ability to define and develop criteria and cost estimates for plant modifications and/or other major projects.
* Ability to communicate effectively with various internal and external sources for the purposes of gathering and relaying information, resolving issues of concern, etc.
* Proven ability to work well with crews and peers.
* Must be self-motivated, highly focused and well disciplined.
* The position is being posted as a P3 however P2 candidates are welcome to apply for the position as a P2 Field Maintenance Engineer.
* This position is headquartered at Mica Creek, involves a 4 day work week and room and board provided in a camp environment. Employees may not reside full time at Mica Creek and are expected to maintain a residence within the catchment area (typically as far away as Kamloops, and Kelowna.)
* This location is eligible for a Remote Incentive of 16%. Remote Incentives are paid bi-weekly to Full-Time Regular employees working in eligible remote locations.
* This location is eligible for Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit. The Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit is extended to Full-Time Regular, Part-Time Regular and Full-Time Temporary employees who are permanenty working in eligible remote locations.
* Driver’s License Type = Class 5
* P.Eng.: Professional Engineer = In Good Standing
* This is a re-bulletin, previous candidates do not need to re-apply
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by Feb. 07, 2023.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We’re always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It’s an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We include everyone.
We act with integrity and respect.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com
BC Hydro has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that requires employees to have a full series of COVID-19 vaccine and provide proof of vaccination on request. This Policy is currently suspended but may resume at BC Hydro’s discretion. While the Policy is suspended, all new employees are required to disclose their vaccination status to BC Hydro.
Flexible work model role definitions
Our four role types identify the degree of flexibility an employee could have to work from home based on the type of work they do. The flexibility for an individual job is up to the manager for each position and the operational requirements. Employees also have the right to work full-time from the office if they prefer. All of our roles require at least some in-person time.
IBEW/Field – No option to work from home
Resident – Works primarily (4+ days per week) in the office.
Hybrid – May be able to work from home up to 3 days per week.
Remote – Works from home 4+ days per week