Sr. Engineer – Generation Stations Estimating
Position: Sr. Engineer - Generation Stations Estimating
Number of Positions: 1
Application Deadline: September 30, 2022
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Job Term: Permanent Full Time
Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Sr. Engineer – Generation Stations Estimating
Job Number: BCH-R-1622-220831E1
Job Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Powered by water… and by people like you
Providing clean electricity to 4 million customers takes a diverse workforce and that’s where you come in. We need your talent to help us build major projects to meet growing demand. To help our customers find clean energy solutions for their homes and businesses and to be ready to respond during storms and outages to keep our system reliable.
Working for BC Hydro is meaningful. And now, the stakes have been raised as we work towards a solution to climate change while safely providing clean, affordable electricity to our customers.
We offer a healthy work life balance, training opportunities and career progression. We’re proud to be ranked as one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Join us as we build an even cleaner B.C.
* Our Estimating team performs an integral role in the delivery of infrastructure projects at BC Hydro. Estimating team members work with cross-functional teams to develop project cost estimates throughout the project lifecycle as well as contributing to the planning, scheduling and implementation of a broad portfolio of projects spanning many different asset types.
* We’re seeking someone with extensive experience in cost estimating, design and construction of large infrastructure projects to join our Estimating team based at BC Hydro’s Edmonds office in Burnaby, B.C. You’ll be part of the Generation Stations Estimating Team within the Engineering Services business group, working primarily on capital projects. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who enjoys working on a wide variety of projects, each with its own unique scope, assets, stakeholders, risks and technical aspects. While the work is based out of Burnaby, you’ll get to travel to BC Hydro’s facilities located throughout British Columbia.
* As a Senior Engineer in the Estimating team, you’ll prepare project cost estimates for projects of various size and complexity. Projects will primarily be related to generating stations and dams. Projects may be new infrastructure or upgrades to existing assets and the estimates may be at various stages in the project life cycle, ranging from early stage planning level estimates, through to estimates supporting full funding and additional funding requests. You’ll provide cost estimate information for regulatory processes.
* You’ll contribute to the success of projects by providing input on construction methodology, schedule, project delivery methodology, project risks, procurement documents, proposal evaluations and contract claims. You’ll prepare budgets and schedules for the estimating work assigned to you and ensure it is completed within the schedule and budget.
* You will also be a reviewer of cost estimates prepared by others, including 3rd parties. You will often review the work of, supervise and provide guidance to other team members. Maintaining your knowledge of relevant standards and keeping apprised of industry cost trends are also key parts of this role. You’ll foster the development of team members through knowledge sharing, coaching and mentoring and contribute to internal guidelines, processes, tools and templates.
* Understanding the business in which we operate is key for this role. As such, you’ll maintain relationships across the organization and use your knowledge of business drivers, policies and procedures to ensure the project estimate is appropriate. You’ll be able to formally and informally present or answer questions regarding project costs estimates, including communicating with various levels of management within the organization and with external stakeholders.
* Bachelor degree in electrical, mechanical, civil or structural engineerin
* Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or eligible for registration with the Engineers and Geoscientists BC (EGBC)
* A minimum of 8 years of combined experience in estimating, design, or construction of industrial or infrastructure type projects, preferably on hydro power or dam safety projects. At least 4 years proven track record (recent) of full Cost Estimating and Schedule Development for capital projects (excluding project controls tasks), preferably on complex (multi-engineering discipline) utility contracts or projects greater than $50 million in total project value; preferably in an electric utility environment.
* be able to perform full project estimate services in terms of construction estimating (with escalation calculations & a risk quantification analysis to develop the project or estimating contingency), planning, scheduling and related functions
* have thorough knowledge of indirect costs and application of these to Owner’s estimates (preferred)
* be able to develop collaborative relationships within your team, with other parts of your organization and outside of your organization in support of business objectives.
* be proficient with MS Office (including advanced knowledge in MS Word, Advanced level in Excel & Advanced level in Powerpoint), Adobe Acrobat Professional, Primavera P6, @Risk, and specialist estimating software (HCSS, EBC or equivalent).
* have strong written and verbal communication skills
* have excellent presentation skills at all levels
* This is a re-bulletin, previous candidates do not need to re-apply.
* Valid Class 5 Driver’s license held and maintained in good standing is required.
* The following additional qualifications are considered to be an asset for this role:
• Reasonable field experience in large civil construction, preferably in the areas of dams, hydropower stations, tunnels, bridges, excavation, and specialty ground treatments.
• Experience in estimating costs and developing schedules for large substations and transmission lines construction.
• Experience in large powerhouse construction, preferably in the areas of turbine and generator, Balance of Plant, HVAC, fire protection, and P&C.
• Experience in Asset Management/Capital Planning in an environment similar in nature to BC Hydro in terms of project complexity and stakeholders.
• Experience in reviewing/negotiating contract claims for work over $10M • Knowledge of AACE estimating practices and guidelines
* Candidates with lesser relevant experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered for a position appropriate for their level of experience