Superintendent Underground Mine Engineering
Position: Superintendent Underground Mine Engineering
Number of Positions: 1
Application Deadline: July 04, 2019
Job Location: Yellowknife
Start_Date: August 01, 2019
Job Term: Permanent Full Time
Superintendent Underground Mine Engineering
· Be part of a global mining organization with a strong focus on safety and productivity
· Work with an exceptional team of technical and operations people
· Opportunity to introduce and implement continuous improvement initiatives
About the role
We are looking for a Superintendent Underground Mine Engineering responsible for planning and optimizing underground mining at Diavik. The role leads a team of technical professionals to provide mine plans (across all time horizons) and mine designs as well as enabling technical functions across hydrogeology, geotechnical, ventilation and drill and blast engineering.
Reporting to the Manager of Mine Technical Services, this role is a great opportunity to be an integral part of the Diavik Mine Technical Services team using your underground mine engineering skills and experience to provide clear technical information and plans to key stakeholders including Mine Operations and within the Copper and Diamonds technical team.
Located in Lac de Gras Mine site, you will be working on a 4 days on/ 3 days off rotational schedule.
The Main responsibilities will be:
· Championing a safe working culture and actively support Rio Tinto HSE standards;
· Leading and developing the underground mine engineering team;
· Delivering timely and quality key technical and planning outputs of the team including mine plans and mine designs, drill and blast design, dewatering programs and geotechnical support;
· Planning and managing operational and capital budgets;
· Collaborating with mining engineers across Copper and Diamonds and Rio Tinto to provide best technical support to Diavik;
· Driving improvement and innovation and adapting to changing mining and business requirements.
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
· Bachelor’s degree in Mine Engineering or Geology;
· Minimum 10 years’ experience in underground mine engineering including blast hole stopping, sub-level retreat;
· Minimum 5 years’ of leadership experience;
· Understanding of the range of technical functions: planning, design, drill & blast, ventilation, dewatering and geotechnical;
· Strong verbal and written communication skills, translating technical information for the target audience from senior leaders to operators;
· Ability to manage a broad range of tasks, priorities and stakeholders;
· Demonstrated ability to partner and influence in a matrix organization to deliver value;
· Strong computer skills, including working knowledge of key mining software packages
Northern residency and experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
Where you will be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
The successful candidate must reside in Hay River, NT or Yellowknife, NT. If the successful candidate does not reside in these areas, a flexible relocation plan will be offered.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminum and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career
So if this sounds like you and the opportunity you are looking for, apply now.
If you are looking for change, a new career and would like to work for a successful global organization, join us today
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
Closing Date: July 4, 2019