Position: Civil Engineer
Number of Positions: 1
Application Deadline: June 30, 2023
Job Location: Whitehorse
Job Term: Permanent Full Time
We are an employee-owned, Canadian company that is passionate about building communities that are vibrant, healthy, and resilient and support economic growth. Sustainability is part of every project we undertake, and how we operate our business. Focused locally, we offer uncompromising service to public and private sector clients across Canada and abroad.
We proudly have been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for 15 consecutive years and a Platinum Club member. This award recognizes our technical excellence, business performance, innovation, dedication to our staff, and involvement in the community. We have also been a Carbon Neutral Company since 2009 and have EcoAction initiatives across the company.
We know it takes dedicated, talented individuals working together to consistently deliver high-quality work and service to our clients. We achieve this by promoting collaboration, investing in our people, and fostering a culture that engages and inspires our people to be their best, maximize their potential, and think creatively while applying best practices. If you have what it takes, we want you to join us!
Our commitment to you:
At Associated Engineering, we have a diverse workforce and teamwork philosophy. We are committed to the growth and careers of our people, and we take great care in hiring the right people to join our team for the long term. Our unique workplace culture has been what sets us apart and we provide:
• A hybrid work environment that allows for a combination of working from home and in the office.
• Competitive salary and benefits, including a fitness allowance, and company-matching pension program.
• Ongoing support for your growth and development, including a formal professional development program, mentoring programs, training opportunities, and professional designation support.
• An active Social Club that promotes social activities in and outside the office and offers subsidized tickets to local events.
• Company supported wellness program that include lunch and learns on various topics.
We currently have an opening for a Civil Engineer in our Whitehorse office.
You will assist our local staff in the design, construction, and project management of a wide variety of projects including small and large scale municipal developments, civil site development, and municipal rehabilitation projects. The core requirements for the role are strong technical capabilities covering all aspects of civil design specifically water, sanitary, and storm sewer design. Broader roles may include general design tasks related to municipal and transportation projects, mine site development, airports, and urban planning. You will have hands-on involvement in preparing studies, designs, cost estimates, specifications, and contract documents. Participation in scheduling, budgeting, tendering, and contract administration for infrastructure projects is also part of the role, including involvement in business development and preparation of proposals. You will also have significant interaction with clients, contractors, and sub-consultants. The position brings with it the potential for excellent career growth as you will be involved in many wide ranging and varied projects. Travel will be required at times based on project requirements.
Duties include the following:
• Acting as Project Engineer/Manager on assignments with assistance of senior engineers.
• Provide support to technicians and designers to ensure that contract drawings are accurately prepared and checked.
• Preparing written technical reports including but not limited to feasibility studies, concept design, detailed design, and design criteria reports.
• Preparing contract documents and construction drawings.
• Performing construction administration/inspection.
• Performing project management tasks including communications with clients, managing schedules, budgets, and reporting requirements.
• Achieving budget compliance on assigned engineering projects to ensure financial objectives are met or exceeded.
• Participate in marketing strategies and business development with clients to procure business.
• Assisting with writing proposals to procure new projects.
• Effectively and clearly communicating, both verbally and in writing, with clients.
• Coordinating sub-consultants activity on projects.
• Executing projects in accordance with company guidelines and standards.
• Undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited post-secondary institution.
• Eligible for professional licensing with Engineers Yukon as an P.Eng., with a minimum of 3 years of civil design experience.
• Experience in the undertaking of design, specifications, cost estimating, tendering, and construction.
• Proficient technical skills.
• Proven communication and organization skills.
• Committed team player.
• Track record in managing clients and developing client relationships.
• Proven people skills for both internal and external clients.
• Motivated to grow career.
• Ability to liaise effectively and clearly with clients, both written and verbal.
• Comfortable working on a variety of project types in a variety of disciplines and sectors across northern Canada.