Senior Mining Engineer
Position: Senior Mining Engineer
Number of Positions: 1
Application Deadline: March 11, 2021
Job Location: Calgary, AB
Job Term: Permanent Full Time
Senior Mining Engineer
Employment Type: Employee
Arctic Canadian Diamond Company Ltd. is a Canadian mining company and one of the world’s largest producers and suppliers of premium rough diamond assortments to the global market. The company owns a controlling interest in the Ekati Diamond Mine, which it operates. The company also holds a controlling interest in the Lac de Gras Diamond Project. The Ekati Diamond Mine, and the Lac de Gras Diamond Project are located in Canada’s Northwest Territories. In addition to its mining and exploration operations, Arctic Canadian Diamond Company Ltd. has offices in Canada and Belgium.
Why Arctic Canadian Diamond Company?
At Arctic Canadian Diamond Company Ltd., we believe people are our most important asset. That is why we are fully committed to the health, safety, and well-being of our employees and to establishing strong lasting and respectful relationships with the people and communities with whom we work. The company is dedicated to developing our workforce and committed to creating an environment where people can learn, grow, and take on new responsibilities. We build capacity within our workforce by offering leadership training, apprenticeship positions, and adult education initiatives, all of which encourage employees and contractors to strive for growth and development. Since beginning operations in 1998, the Ekati Diamond Mine has become internationally recognized as a world-class supplier of top-quality rough diamonds. Now operated by Arctic Canadian Diamond Company Ltd., the Ekati mine provides unique operational challenges and rewarding career development opportunities.
As a member of the Exploration and Project Development Team, the Senior Mining Engineer will report to the Manager – Strategic Planning and work a five days on, two days off schedule at the Calgary Corporate Office. The Senior Mining Engineer will produce safe, operable, strategic mine plans that align with business objectives, will assist with capital studies, and will provide engineering support and technical recommendations for key future development programs.
- Develop, maintain, and continuously improve Ekati’s long range mine planning processes, procedures, and tools;
- Develop risk assessed and optimized mine designs including but not limited to pit shells, ramps, waste dump designs, and open pit step outs;
- Provide guidance and/or support to the site-based mining engineers to ensure medium and short-range planning aligns with the long-range plans and company objectives;
- Complete mining fleet productivity analysis and support mining fleet selection processes;
- Complete the Budget mine and production plans including full documentation such as assumptions justification, options analysis, risk assessment, and recommendations;
- Conduct mine and production plan scenario analysis along with quarterly and life of mine scheduling period windows as required;
- Work with the Finance Team to optimize mine plans to achieve strategic goals of the business;
- Develop life of mine strategic scenarios with the Exploration and Project Development team;
- Assist with project capital studies;
- Provide supervisory oversight of engineering consultants as required;
- Liaise with other departments to get inputs/assumptions and develop, coordinate, and communicate the budget plan and life of mine plans;
- Identify functional capability gaps and recommend improvement opportunities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mine Engineering;
- Minimum of 5 years relevant post graduate experience;
- Competency in mining software packages;
- Professional Engineer certification in Canada (preferably Northwest Territories).
The position requires engineering knowledge including theoretical and practical expertise in mining practices for both open pit and underground mining, along with experience and demonstrated proficiency in general office and mining software packages. Full participation in all Health, Safety, Environment, and Security programs is fundamental to the position, and it is incumbent on the candidate to ensure that Safety is imparted as the number one value in all aspects of the Company’s operations.
Preference will be given to qualified applicants from Impact Benefit Agreement Groups. Members should clearly identify their IBA status on the online job application and resume, to receive priority consideration.
For information about the beautiful region in which our mines are located visit www.spectacularnwt.com.