Sr. Engineer, Generation Field Maintenance
Number of Positions: 1
Application Deadline: May 26, 2023
Job Location: GM Shrum Gen Station, British Columbia, Canada
Job Term: Permanent Full Time
Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Sr. Engineer, Generation Field Maintenance
Job Number: BCH-R-5012-230419E1
Job Location: GM Shrum Gen Station, British Columbia, Canada
Powered by water… and by people like you
Providing clean electricity to 4 million customers takes a diverse workforce and that’s where you come in. We need your talent to help us build major projects to meet growing demand. To help our customers find clean energy solutions for their homes and businesses and to be ready to respond during storms and outages to keep our system reliable.
Working for BC Hydro is meaningful. And now, the stakes have been raised as we work towards a solution to climate change while safely providing clean, affordable electricity to our customers.
We offer a healthy work life balance, training opportunities and career progression. We’re proud to be ranked as one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Join us as we build an even cleaner B.C.
• Generation field maintenance engineers in the Peace Region provide maintenance and technical expertise to BC Hydro leadership and crews for hydro generators and equipment in the powerhouse, substation, and within the dam. This position will primarily support GM Shrum (GMS) but will also provide support from time to time to the Peace Canyon (PCN) generating station, located near Hudson’s Hope. The work is interesting, and requires broad technical abilities to troubleshoot issues and continuously improve a complex maintenance program and support capital works. This position is headquartered in Hudson’s Hope, a beautiful community with the amenities of a small town and access to many outdoor activities.
• Duties include:
* Providing mechanical engineering support for Generation stations at GMS and PCN.
* Reviewing, revising, and making recommendations on the preventative maintenance programs.
* Acting as technical lead when troubleshooting various equipment problems, testing and inspecting to support Equipment Health Ratings (EHR) and developing Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) strategies for equipment in the generating station.
* Participating in and leading root cause analysis for equipment issues.
* Providing technical support and leadership to maintenance crews and management.
* Providing technical support in the development of capital plans and plant improvement projects.
* Hold a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
* Be registered or immediately eligible for registration as a professional engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC.
* A minimum of 8 years’ experience in the relevant engineering field including considerable electric utility experience (may consider candidates with less experience at the appropriate pay grade and level). Preference will be given to candidates with previous field experience.
* Have demonstrated technical knowledge of hydro-electric generation.
* Have the ability to provide work leadership or technical direction to engineers and/or other technical support staff.
* Have the ability to develop innovative methods of analysis for complex issues.
* Be able to analyze, interpret and evaluate various complex technical studies and data.
* Have the ability to develop computer models and equipment for validity and reliability (RCM).
* Have well developed analytical and communication skills.
* Have the ability to communicate effectively with various internal and external sources for the purposes of gathering and relaying information, resolving issues of concern, etc.
* Have proven ability to work well with crews and peers.
* This location is eligible for a Remote Incentive of 20%. Remote Incentives are paid bi-weekly to Full-Time Regular employees working in eligible remote locations.
* This location is eligible for Travel Incentive. The Travel Incentive is extended to Full-Time Regular employees who are working in eligible remote locations.
* This location is eligible for Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit. The Extended Health Care Medical Travel Benefit is extended to Full-Time Regular, Part-Time Regular and Full-Time Temporary employees who are permanently working in eligible remote locations.
* Required: Driver’s License Type = Class 5
*Required: P.Eng.: Professional Engineer = In Good Standing
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by May 26, 2023.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We’re always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It’s an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We include everyone.
We act with integrity and respect.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
We include everyone. We welcome applications from anyone, including members of visible minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
We are also happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at BC Hydro. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at Recruitmenthelp@BCHydro.com
Flexible work model role definitions
Our four role types identify the degree of flexibility an employee could have to work from home based on the type of work they do. The flexibility for an individual job is up to the manager for each position and the operational requirements. Employees also have the right to work full-time from the office if they prefer. All of our roles require at least some in-person time.
IBEW/Field – No option to work from home
Resident – Works primarily (4+ days per week) in the office.
Hybrid – May be able to work from home up to 3 days per week.
Remote – Works from home 4+ days per week